Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Out of Control Kids

Out of Control Kids

An increasingly high number of children are being labeled as "out of control." Once simple, discipline is now taking a new turn.  Dealing with new disorders can be hard on parents, teachers, and principals.  But how much is too much? And when it comes to discipline, how far is too far?  In the new recently, there have been reports of children being arrested, yes arrested!  Is that really necessary?  Well, you'll be the judge of that one today.  Check out the videos and links below.  After watching and reading, answer the discussion questions that follow.



















Another six-year old was arrested about a month before hand.  Click here to read the CBS News article about the arrest of the young girl in Georgia

Some of these are completely outrageous!   If you think that is bad, watch this next video.  Police arrested 3 9-year old girls and an 8- year old boy.




But wait....there's more!  Click here to read about kids your own age who were arrested for things as minor as dropping food in the cafeteria and not cleaning it up properly!


Discussion Questions: 

Answer the following questions thoroughly and completely.  Make sure that you proofread your answers BEFORE you submit your response.  (Errors will be counted.)
1. Do you feel that the arrests that were made in these cases were fair or not?  Explain Why or Why not.

2. How would you react if you were arrested or ticketed for a simple mistake made in school like burping or drawing on a desk? How would your parents react?

3. What would happen if our school began to operate in this manner? Would it help or hurt our school community?  What about the school district as a whole? Would it be better or worse?

16 comments:

  1. 1. I believe these arrest were totally unnecessary! Sure these kids are little brats, but you know what they deserve if they keep this stuff up? A good old fashioned paddling. I guarantee they won't be doing stuff like this again. But arrest? common they're kids they're going to do stupid things!

    2.I would refuse to even go to school if i were to be arrested for something as silly as burping or drawing on a desk. Quite frankly, that's just beyond proper punishment and totally unnecessary! My parents would probably agree to have me home schooled instead.

    3.If our school began arresting people for stupid reasons, there would be huge tension between teachers and students. Everything between them would deteriorate and there would probably be a bunch of chaos. This would for sure hurt the community and the district because there would be so much hate coming from the students. Over all, it'd be horrible and kids would probably just quit going to school period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah S.

    I feel that the arrests of the children were wrong, and uncalled for. The children could've simply been put into ISS or suspended instead of being arrested. I don't think that it is right for them to even be charged in those crimes. We all make mistakes, but arresting really isn't the right thing to do to NINE-YEAR-OLDS.




    I would be in shock if I was arrested for drawing on a desk! That is too much of a consequence to be dealt for drawing. Drawings can easily be erased! My parents would probably feel the same way as I would because drawing on a desk isn't a life or death situation, it isn't potentially harming or abusing anyone or anything.




    If our school operated in this manner, honestly, I would be mad. That is not a rightful way to run a school. That rule is going to make our school ISS in every classroom because a lot of people doodle on desks when they are bored. What our school does will reflect on our district and make it look like we are all juvenile delinquents. The rules would make our community worse because we would all look like criminals because we were all charged with drawing on desks. If a silly little rule like that can get you arrested, there is no telling what other rules will be enforced... Being arresting for sneezing? Yawning? Coughing? That will obviously make our community worse. Silly things shouldn't result in arrests!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Audrey S.
    I feel that the arrests were very unfair because the kids could have just been sent to the principles office and then to ISS or if an even worse case they could have just been suspended. I think that because for a 9-year-old to go through the life of someone in jail is very hard and will probably scar them for life. I would feel very bad about myself. The children probably didn't even know what they were doing until they go into major trouble for it when really they should have just been told not to do it again. My parents would probably, no offense to the people who would have arrested me, laughed because it was so stupid for them to arrest me in the first place. If our school started acting in thus manner then it would probably harm our school community because kids would just rebel more and our school would get an even worse reputation for being "ghetto". And as the district as a whole, it would just let the other districts know that we are again even more "ghetto", when we really aren't it's just the silly rules for our school. And it would also be a lot worse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sam M
    Well, I think that in some cases, it would be necessary to make those arrests. But it depends on the situation. Like, if the kid was threatening people and injuring people, then, yes, it would be necessary. If I got arrested for little mistakes, I would want to see where it says in the rulebook that I can get arrested for that. My parents would probably want to ground me for life. If our school began to do this, I know that it would hurt the school community. As the school district as a whole, again, it depends on the situation. If it was for chewing gum in class, then it would hurt the school community. But if it was for threatening others and damaging property, then it would help the school community.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maura M.
    1. No, I think that some of these incidents might have been a little out there, like a food fight. But to be arrested? It is my belief that you are going to mess up sometime, and I personally would much rather it be in my youth than when I am an adult with a job on the line and a family to feed. I am not saying that you should not discipline students, I think you should still punish someone who starts a food fight with ISS or suspension for a few days, but not with a prison cell and a xxs orange jumpsuit. In other cases, like smelling your hands, dropping a piece of cake, or asking a question, I think a lunch detention would be considered outrageous.

    2. If this personally happened to me, I would be furious, and my parents even more so. Being arrested is something that stays on your record forever. When you apply to college, or for a job, they can do a background check on you and see that you got arrested in the eighth grade and decide they would rather have someone else than a delinquent.

    3. If this happened in our school or district, the outcome would be be simple, Bad. not only would there be a bunch of angry parents and kids running around, there would be no one in school. The things these kids are getting arrested for are mostly thing we do every day. Did you know that if you didn't release bodily gases (burp), your intestines could explode. And asking questions is how you learn or clarify things. Without that, how could you pass if no one in your grade knows or understands what you are doing? And dropping food in the cafeteria, everyone has done it like a million times, you just pick it up and throw it away. Logically, it makes no sense any way you look at it. And I'm forgetting one Major factor, if you have all these kids in jail, where are the real criminals supposed to go? I think everyone can agree that the last thing we need right now is a bunch of criminals on the street.

    ReplyDelete
  6. John B,
    The schools that made these arrests put too much enforcement into thier punishments. I agree that putting three kids onto train traks should get a severe punishment, but prison? i think if the schools had given them a week of oss it would have been just fine. Given that they called the police to solve a problem of thiers dosent say much for the school if they cant handle thier kids.

    If I or a fellow classmate was marched outside, handcuffed and taken to prison for a simple thing such as throwing a paper airplane I would switch schools. of course it is a disruption in class but seriosly it should at the most be a lunch detention. if my parents were to find out they might sue and file complaints.

    If the SBISD started haulling kids out of class and taking kids to school every one in thier right mind would file charges against the school and the district as a whole. It would definatly hurt the district in a huge way, in no way should the school start doing this unless of a shooting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Campbell M
    I think the seven reasons for the arrestings in the article above were very unreasonable. However, putting a kid on railroad tracks is serious. Even though they were only 8 and 9 year olds, someone could have been killed. If I were arrested for drawing on a desk I would be very mad and think its unfair. It doesnt hurt anyone for burping in class. My parents would contact the police and not let this happen. Most people would think this is crazy just for burping or writing on a desk.If our school began to operate like this no one would like it at all. I don't think it would effect anything at all. It would hurt the chool community because parents and students would be mad at the school and the police and sue them, making the school and district lose a lot of money. It would be worse for the district as a whole, becuase they would also be blamed for this by parents and students. It would definitely be worse. If it was a serious enough crime like throwing your friend on railroad tracks, it is still serious and even though your only 9 you should still be punished. It is attempted murder and an older person would also be put in jail.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chang B
    I feel that the arrests that were made are fair because kids and teenagers in America are not being disciplined enough. They think that they can do anything they want just because they are still in elementary or middle school and not in the real life. They need to be more disciplined in order to get ready for the real life and to succeed in life.
    If I got arrested or ticketed for a simple mistake, I will be glad that I have learned a lesson and learned not to make the same mistake again. Of course my parents would be shocked if this ever happened and ground me for months, but I think learning from my own faults is better than being the fool who will always the same mistake over and over. People always say that everyone makes mistakes but if they knew the right thing to do, then they would have never done it in the first place.
    If our school began to operate in this manner, then the students will be more obedient and more in control. This would definitely help our school community because it wouldn't only be the students who will be more focused, but also the teachers will be more focused and be able to teach the students better. The district as a whole would also get better because if our school succeeds to discipline the students, then maybe other schools in the district might start operating in this manner, and over time, the school district might become a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Megan L.
    I feel that these arrests made were an unfair action. It's one thing to be 20 and doing these kinds of things and being charged, but little kids getting charged for mistakes they made is unfair. Kids this age probably don't even understand what they did wrong. If I was arrested or ticketed for a mistake i made as simple as the ones shown in the video, I would be overwhelmed with stress and fear. Im only 14, and yes we as middle schoolers are a little more responsible, but it is still unreasonable to charge young children for small mistakes. My parents would be outraged and do anything to put an end to the nonsense. If this started happening at our school people would go crazy in outrage. This would hurt our community because we would most likely break out into protests and riots, attempting to end the arrest or charge of innocent children.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lauren S,
    I think that sending those little kids to prison for fighting is not right. they are young and still have stuff to learn they probably didn't know better. They should just have a talk with the principal. If i was arrested for just drawing on a table or something as simple as that i would be very upset that isn't a high enough crime to be sent to prison for. if they started to enforce those rules at our school there would be a lot of mad childern and parents.It isn't right all the kid did was color on a table he shouldn;t be sent to jail for it.they should find a better and less cruel way to punish the child like give him a day of ISS and make him clean the desk.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope B.
    These arrests were absolutely not fair. When a six-year-old tells you he's going to kick you, you give him time out or call his parents, NOT call the police. Or if a student simply writes on a desk, they should have to stay after class to clean the desks, not be taken out of their school and hand-cuffed. I know that my whole family, including myself, would be absolutely furious, and would do anything they could to make sure stupid things like that never happened to anyone again. If our school began to operate in this matter, then I would switch schools and never look back. Schools aren't supposed to treat kids this way, it's horrible. It would hurt our school community by a lot, because who would want to send their kid somewhere where kids are being arrested for dropping cake on the floor? Our district is considered very good, but if these changes happen it wouldn't be considered a better district anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  12. george c. well in some cases like the kids in baltimore where violence happened and someone could have gotten hurt because they said that he was pushed to the railroad and thats not neccesarily safe therefore arrest is one of the options,but in other cases like mervins it was not necessary to arrest her i mean she dropped a cake and didnt clean it up big deal, no need to arrest and take it to court its a small incident. also if i was blamed for something that that only deserves a limited amount of punishment and i was arrested fo that well i would certantly not like that and i would fight to convince the police/court that that punishment was not necessary for such a thing and my parents would probably do the same because they would understand that its wrong for them to do that. ok if our school put this law or manner in place? it has two sides, one it would be good to arrest and take kids out of campus for a major felony like beating someone up real bad or pulling out a gun and alot of other major chrimes that can occur on campus. on the other hand if it was like burping or a silly thing jokers like to do well, not necessarily arrest them. i mean you could give them a detention or something not as severe as getting arrested. this manner or policy has to be taken away in schools because its not fair for people who did a small joke or something because they will be receiving the same punishment as someone who actually did something bad and could have or did hurt people,And it would make the district a worse place by a landslide.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sarah D.
    I feel that most of the arrests in the cases provided where unfair. This is because most of the children arrested did not know what they were doing was against the law. If I was arrested I would definitly flip-out! It is a natural thing to burp and most writings on a desk can be erased. My parents would go crazy if a message on their phone told then that their thirteen-year-old daughter had been arrested for something as little as smelling hand-sanitizer. This type of discipline would definitly hurt our community, half of the people at our school would be in jail or suspended by the start of the second semester. We would all be afraid to express ourselves thinking that anything we did could get us arrested. This manner would not benefit our district or community in anyway. These arrests are totally and completely outragous. I would advise anyone who lives in a place like that to move to a new district or community, which every one's farther.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bond B.
    1) After i had looked through all this and thought about what they were doing to just these little kids i feel that all these arrests they made in these cases are unfair. Kids can be kids, but they are not supposed to be juvenile delinquents. I don't think it's fair to arrest kids at such a young age, i mean maybe when there older like in their upper teens but not now when there just 6-8 years old.
    2) If i was ticketed or arrested at that age just for doing a simple mistake that would be completely unfair. Kids are young and haven't learned a lot and arresting them just for drawing on a desk or a simple burp would just be plain wrong. I would be so mad if they arrested me for that, but if my parents were to know if i got arrested if i was just 6 or 8 years old they would probably go ballistic. My parents would be devastated and would try everything they could for me not to get into jail. But really, is it really necessary to arrest kids for a simple mistake? Of course not! People make mistakes everyday and thats how you learn and get through life is with making mistakes!
    3) If our school began to operate like this everything would be messed up! At least let kids have a childhood before you send them off to jail for doing something bad. If our school worked in that kind of system everyone would be in there and no one would learn and it would all be a big joke with no one taking any of it seriously. It may serve as a good discipline but were just kids who don't need to be going to jail at our age. If people began doing so with that it would tear our school community and school district completely apart. The police would always be at the schools and lots of bad things would start to happen more frequently and that would cause an unsafe and unhealthy learning area for everyone else. Kids are young and just because they mess up doesn't mean they should be sent to jail.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mason Mo.
    I feel that these arrest made on young students are not fair. Children are not as well behaved as adults are because they do not right from wrong as an adult would. I think the punishment should of been something much lesser like a talk with the principle or call home. If I was arrested or ticketed for something simple like drawing on desk I would question the police why they think this is necessary or try to talk some sense into them. If that wouldn't work I would not try to pick a fight with a officer I would just go along with it. If our school were to operate like this It would hurt the school and its community as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Grace M.
    This is terrible and not okay. A six-year-old going to jail? The punishments made were unnecessary and cruel and they could have come up with a better solution. This punishment did not fit the crime and is not okay. Even if he did kick a teacher, that is not right to put a little kid in jail for something like that. Jail is a place where people who have drug issues go and murderers go. Not where innocent six-year-olds go because they kicked a teacher. Of course the kid should be punished but not to that extent. If I were arrested for something as little as that, I would stand up and make sure that didn't happen to anyone else. I would be shocked. That is just not right. Especially for something as little as drawing on a desk or burping or not turning in your homework. I would come up with a different punishment that fit the crime. This is an outrage and should not be tolerated. My parents would most likely go crazy when they received that call. They would protest against the ruling make sure it would not happen again. If our school began to operate in that manner, I would probably protest and fight for everyone in our school. It wouldn't make things better, It would just create unnecessary chaos. I believe this is truly unfair and punishments have gone too far. I'm sure they could come up with a more suitable punishment. This really makes me upset and makes me mad and it doesn't even effect me. If you put yourself in their shoes, I would be furious too. It would make everything worse and do absolutely nothing but cause chaos.

    ReplyDelete